The "Large Landscapes" Definitive Set of 1929-1931

The first 10 values of a new definitive set appeared on 4 November 1929. It was designed by Rudolf Junk, who produced the frames, and by Franz Retzl who produced the landscapes for the centres of the stamps. The groschen values were produced by typography; the schilling values were engraved by Ferdinand Schirnböck and recess printed. The groschen values were comb perforated 12½ and the schilling values line 12½.

ANKFaceColourIssued
49810gbistre4.11.1929
49910gbistre-brown8.9. 1930
50015gplum4.11. 1929
50116g grey4.11. 1929
50218gblue-green 4.11. 1929
50320ggrey1.1. 1930
50424gmaroon4.11. 1929
50524gcrimson8.9. 1930
50630gdeep violet4.11. 1929
50740gdeep blue4.11. 1929
50850gbright violet5.8. 1930
50960golive green4.11. 1929
5101Ssepia4.11. 1929
5112Sgreen4.11. 1929

The designs are:

Both 10g depict the Teufelskirche at Güssing in the Burgenland. The village is a summer resort and is also visited for winter sports. It commands a splendid view of the Ötscher and the Erlauf Tal.
The 15g shows the well-preserved castle of Hochosterwitz enthroned on an isolated rock. It lies south of Launsdorf in Carinthia and was built by Baron Görg von Khevenhüller in 1570-86.
The 16g and 20g depict the beautifully situated little town of Dürnstein in Lower Austria overlooked by its ruined castle. Here, early in 1193, Richard I of England, who had been arrested at Erdberg near Vienna while returning from the Holy Land in disguise, was kept prisoner by Duke Leopold VI before being delivered up to the Emperor Henry VI.
The 18g shows the Traunsee, formed by the Traun river and set amidst picturesque scenery in Upper Austria. A Corpus Christi procession has been held on its waters for more than 500 years.
Both 24g depict the great Castle of Hohensalzburg as it towers above the city of Salzburg. This fortress, founded in 1077 by Archbishop Gebhard, owes its present form to Archbishop Leonhard.
The 30g shows Seewiesen, a picturesquely situated little village near Bruck in Styria. Behind the village can be seen the mountain of Hochschwab which commands an extensive view reaching north to the Danube and embracing the whole of the Eastern Alps from the Wiener Schneeberg to the Dachstein.
The 40g shows the Hofburg of Innsbruck. This former imperial palace, dating from the 15th and 16th century, was altered in 1766-70.
The 50g gives a pleasant view of the Wörthersee, the largest and most popular of the Carinthian Alpine lakes. Maria Wörth, the peninsula which can be seen on the stamp, is one of several holiday resorts around the lake.
The 60g shows the market village of Hohenems in the Vorarlberg. The only building of note is the chateau of Count Waldburg-Zeil.
The 1Sch depicts the National Library in Vienna erected in 1722-26 by J.E. von Fischer from the designs of J.B. Fischer von Erlach. It contains seven major collections; printed books, manuscripts, geographical books, papyri, portraits, music and an excellent theatrical collection.
And the 2Sch is the Cathedral of St. Stephen, one of the most historic buildings in Vienna. The original church was erected in 1147 but was at that time outside the city walls. It was badly damaged when the Russians fought their way into the city in 1945; a special set of stamps was issued to raise funds for its reconstruction in 1946.

Comments

Both the schilling values are known in pairs with the central margins imperforate. They exist in two distinct sizes, 21x25.5mm and 22x25mm in the same way as has previously been noted with recess printed stamps. All the groschen values have one stamp in each sheet in which the middle perforation hole in the right hand side is clearly shifted towards the design.

The 20g is known in green instead of grey; this is a colour change produced by soaking in dilute bleach and not a rare and valuable printing variety! However it is rare if printed on thick yellowish paper.

The whole set was valid until 31 December 1935 (but the 16g stamp was taken out of use on 31 December 1929 and put back into service on 15 December 1932). The numbers printed are not now known.