|Back to main narrative|
Offices 74 and 75, both in Bezirk X, have a complex and involved relationship. While it is documented piecemeal elsewhere, it may be useful to have it collected together.
Office 74 (Favoriten I) opened in 1872 as a normal Post Office at Laxenburgerstrasse 24 / Götzgasse 1. In 1892 it became "10/1 WIEN 74". In 1895 a spur was run from the pneumatic office at Sudbahnhof (Wien 76) to Wien 74 providing full pneumatic service; before that the service was achieved by messengers. In 1907 the service and the pipe moved to Wien 75.
Office 75 (Favoriten II) opened on 25 Feb 1889 as a post office at "Quellengasse 66 / Himbergerstrasse 62". Some research reveals that both streets have changed their names! Quellengasse is now Quellenstrasse, and the part of Himbergerstrasse that runs through Favoriten is now Favoritenstrasse. Quellenstrasse 66 is at the corner where it crosses Favoritenstrasse. In 1892 it became "10/1 WIEN 75". The office later moved a short distance to Buchengasse 77. The pneumatic service of office 74 moved to office 75 in 1907, as Favoriten expanded eastwards.
Favoriten became the 10th Bezirk of Vienna on 22 April 1894; these expansions tended to require some street-renaming to avoid duplication.
This pneumatic card was posted at Wien Favoriten (or maybe in the red letter box outside it) and cancelled at 1.20.V.7.X.90 (ie 13:20 on 7 October 1890) with our Type V-20 for immediate delivery to a local address. It didn't go anywhere near a pipe, so has no arrival cancel and no creases. This shows that the mail thus posted must have been sorted at Favoriten before items for elsewhere were sent onwards by messenger.
This pneumatic card was cancelled at Fleischmarkt between 10 and 11 am on 6 October 1891 and routed to Station 4, which is Wien 50 at Neumanngasse 3, arriving at 10:40 and receiving their pneumatic cancel (our type VI-44). It must then have been taken by messenger up the hill to Favoriten, where it was cancelled at noon with our Type V-20. The address is mis-spelt: it's Gellertplatz.
This pneumatic letter was posted at Ottakring on 25 May 1892 to an address in Laxenburgerstrasse, Bezirk X. It was routed to Station 4, which is Wien 50 at Neumanngasse 3, arriving at 10:00 and receiving their pneumatic cancel (our type VI-44). It must then have been taken by messenger up the hill to Favoriten, where it was cancelled at 10:20 with our Type V-20.
|Back to main narrative|